When you are listening to a stroke survivor:
• Be patient.
• Watch the person’s lips.
• Remind the person to talk slowly and clearly.
• Remind the person to concentrate harder when using difficult words.
• Ask the person to repeat if you cannot understand. Don’t make as if you understand.
• Encourage the person to use the names of friends and family.
• Encourage the person to use common words such as ‘hello’ or ‘thank you’.
• If the person cannot speak, encourage him/her to use hand gestures and to point to objects.
• Make sure there is no noise in the background.
• Turn the TV or radio down.
E.S, S., & S.J, V. (2015). Stroke Care at Home. Western Cape South Africa: Center for Rehabilitation Studies Stellenbosch University.